It is understandable that the new Communications and Multimedia Minister, Datuk Seri Salleh Said Keruak is so upset that he has shot off another protest against international media reporting on Malaysia – this time complaining that Channel News Asia (CAN)’s documentary, A Fractured Nation, for being biased because the sources quoted were only from the Opposition.
Salleh had been Minister for Communications and Multimedia for only two short months, but the number of bad press for Malaysia in the international media during Salleh’s tenure as Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s Communications czar is already many times the bad press under his predecessor, Datuk Seri Shabery Cheek, even putting together Shabery’s two spells as Information Minister for 13 months under Tun Abdullah and Communications Minister for 26 months under Najib.
Who must bear responsibility for the current spate of bad international press by Malaysia, whether printed or electronic – Salleh, Najib or the international media?
Salleh complained that the CNA documentary A Fractured Nation portrayed a bad image of Malaysia.
The pertinent question is whether CNA had irresponsibly given a bad image of a good condition in Malaysia, or had truthfully reflected what is undoubtedly a bad situation in Malaysia!
Malaysians should be allowed to decide for themselves whether it is the former or latter, and I have asked the administrator of my social media to locate A Fractured Nation documentary to let Malaysians pass judgment on the matter.
Be that as it may, Salleh should explain the reason for the current spate of bad international media, both printed and electronic, in the past few months – whether this the fault of Najib administration or is he really suggesting that there is an international conspiracy involving the international media to demonise and topple Najib, which appeared to include even the former Prime Minister, Tun Mahathir?
It is really unbelievable, Mahathir, betre noire of world Jewry in his 22 years as Prime Minister of Malaysia, suddenly transformed overnight and stand accused as being “hand-in-glove” with the Jewish forces of the world to demonise and topple Najib as Prime Minister of Malaysia!
What other fairy tales Najib’s highly-paid publicists and communicators want Malaysians to believe?
Najib should listen to the advice from his brother, the CIMB group chairperson Nazir Razak that the government has to provide answers to the controversies plaguing it to restore international market confidence and “change the current narrative about Malaysia with answers or legal suits”.
For a start, Najib should institute legal proceedings against five international media for defaming him or his administration in recent months, viz:
– Wall Street Journal for its report of July 2, 2015 on the RM2.6 billion “donation” in Najib’s personal banking accounts;
– Al Jazeera for its 101 East current affairs programme, “Murder in Malaysia” on Sept. 11, 2015 casting adverse reflections on Najib and his administration in the case of the brutal murder of Mongolian Altantunya Shaariibuu;’
– New York Times for its report of 21st September 2015 that a US federal grand jury is examining allegations of corruption and money laundering involving Najib and people close to him under the Department of Justice’s Kleptocracy Asset Recovery Initiative.
– The Economist for its report “Race in Malaysia: Playing with fire” on Sept. 24, 2015 on how “A floundering government risks igniting ethnic tensions”; and
– Channel News Asia for its “A Fractured Nation” on 24th Sept portraying a bad image of Malaysia.
Najib will not be able to sue New York Times if its report that Najib is being investigated by the US Department of Justice (DOJ) under its “Kleptocracy Asset Recovery Initiative” programme is true.
But Najib should know the true and actual position. Can he enlighten Malaysians whether he is being investigated in the United States under the DOJ’s Kleptocracy Asset Recovery Initiative.
If necessary, he should ask President Obama straight when he meets the American President.
Let Najib clarify this crucial matter from the United States Government!