I fully agree with establishment of RCI into the May 13 riots in 1969


Yesterday, I called for a Royal Commission of Inquiry into the 29-year-old Memali Incident, especially as the protagonists like former Prime Minister, Tun Dr. Mahathir, former Deputy Prime Minister, Tun Musa Hitam, former Inspector-General of Police, Tun Hanif Omar, former Acting Inspector-General of Police,Tan Sri Dato’ Mohd Amin bin Osman, the then Information Minister Tan Sri Rais Yatim, Deputy Home Minister at the time, Tan Sri Radzi Sheikh Ahmad, the then UMNO Secretary-General Tan Sri Sanusi Junid, the OCPD Baling during the Memali incident, Tunku Muszaffar Shah and a follower of Ibrahim Libya who is now Senator Muhamad Yusof Husin from Baling, Kedah are still alive and can testify on the avoidable tragedy which cost the lives of 18 people, including four policemen.

I made this call following the revelation by Musa in a public discussion organised by the Kelantan State Government Kota Bahru four nights ago that Mahathir was in Malaysia during the bloody Memali incident on Nov. 19, 1985 when police forces killed Ibrahim Libya and his followers in a clash which resulted in 18 casualties, including four policemen.

Musa’s revelation has come as a shocker as close to three decades, it was reported and believed that Musa took charge of the operations as Home Minister in 1985 because Mahathir was in China for a visit.

Musa said in Kota Bahru: “In fact, two three days after that (Memali) he was still in KL.”

I think Musa was right when he said that Mahathir was in the country when the Memali Incident took place on November 19, 1985 but was wrong when Musa said that Mahathir was still in KL “two three days after” the Memali Incident.

This is what the RCI should inquire into, not only to establish whether Mahathir was operationally responsible for the Memali Tragedy and not Musa, but also to conduct a comprehensive investigation to ascertain:

- whether the Memali tragedy was avoidable, whether there was no other way for the police to handle the situation without provoking the loss of 18 lives;

– whether UMNO’s discriminatory policies against PAS supporters could have been a contributing factor to the tragedy;

– whether it was true that Musa had earlier issued a directive to the police not to use force when arresting Ibrahim Libya and to withdraw should they encounter resistance and whether Mahathir had countermanded this directive leading to the loss of 18 lives – and if not Mahathir, who had done so;

– whether the Memali Incident was one of the first examples under the 22-year Mahathir premiership where national institutions like the police lost their professionalism, independence and integrity when they have to take operational orders from politicians whether Prime Minister or Deputy Prime Minister?

In response to my call for a RCI into the Memali Incident of 1985, I was subject to an intense attack by UMNO/BN cybertroopers on the Internet asking whether I would agree to the establishment of a Royal Commission of Inquiry into the May 13, 1969 riots, together with the insinuation as well as downright lies about my being involved or having instigated the May 13 riots in Kuala Lumpur 45 years ago.

This led me to post the following seven tweets last night, which are self-explanatory:

1. Ignoramus galore in cyberspace. In Parliament in Feb 1971, I called for public inquiry into May 13 riots. Full support from me on RCI on May 13!

2. Always bemused by imbecile antics of Umno/BN cybertroopers/agent provocateurs with their wild allegation that I caused May 13 in 1969.

3. They don’t realise they are insulting five Prime Ministers Razak Hussein Mahathir Abdullah Najib; the long line of Home Ministers including Ismail Ghazali Musa Hamid Hishammudin Zahid!

4. Not only that, they insult police especially IGP and Special Branch past 45 years as utterly useless/incompetent, not to know my “role” in May 13, 1969!

5. Until these Umno/BN cybertroopers/agent provocateurs “discovered” it after 11GE in 2008! People of minimum IQ know this is trash but x scums.

6. They regard this as their “Eureka” moment of discovery, when its proof of their infantile mentality. No wonder UMNO/BN going down the drain!

7. With such “friends” like these cybertroopers/agent provocateurs, Umno/BN do not need enemies. I only lament for Malaysia – at such low politics!

Yes, I fully agree with the establishment of a Royal Commission of Inquiry into the May 13 riots in 1969, although it is 45 years ago, a stand which I had consistently taken from 1969 in my Letter to the Prime Minister, Tunku Abdul Rahman, when I was in detention under the Internal Security Act in Muar Detention Centre in 1969-1970 and in my first speech in Parliament in February 1971.

The question is whether the UMNO/BN politicians and cybertroopers/agent provocateurs dare to openly pressure the Umno/BN government to establish a Royal Commission of Inquiry into the May 13 riots of 1969!

Let us begin by hearing an UMNO/BN Member of Parliament taking up this issue in Parliament, and I will give it full support.

(Media Statement in Kuala Lumpur on Monday 31st March 2014)

Print Friendly

  1. #1 by pulama on Monday, 31 March 2014 - 10:24 am

    There is a time for everything.
    Now is not the time to get distracted by a sudden discussion of a few local events decades ago. The story tellers are obviously mixing fact with fiction, littering their stories with half-truths. Don’t waste your efforts debating with them. Another time maybe.
    Now is the time to focus attention on more recent events.

You must be logged in to post a comment.