Parliament should close down ESSCOM next week if after spending RM300 million, all it could say after the latest abduction in Semporna is that it it is “powerless in Esszone”


The Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) might as well close down if after the Malaysian taxpayers spending RM300 million on it, all it could do is to admit that it is “powerless” following the abduction of two women from a resort off Semporna on Wednesday.

Not only Sabahans, but all Malaysians, are outraged at today’s Malay Mail Online report on the statement by the Esscom corporate communication head Newmond Tibin who said it had “no power” over the 10 districts in the Eastern Sabah Safety Zone (Esszone) and that it was under police jurisdiction.

The 10 districts are Kudat, Kota Marudu, Pitas, Beluran, Sandakan, Kinabatangan, Lahad Datu, Kunak, Semporna and Tawau.

“Each district in the Esszone has its own OCPD and they take orders from the police chief. Thus allegations that Esscom is not doing anything is unfair,” said Newmond.

He said Esscom’s role was to coordinate with various agencies.

“We are in no position to give direct orders to the 10 districts on what they have to do. We have done our part to coordinate and cooperate with the authorities.”

Newmond said it was vital to inform the people about Esscom and Esszone.

“We need to explain to the people of Sabah about our role. We have no direct control. The director-general has no power to command,” he said.

This is the latest example of Malaysia’s shambolic governance, with one agency after another denying responsibility and passing-the-buck to another, making fools of the Malaysian people.

Esscom was formed after the Lahad Datuk intrusion in February last year as the guardian of security of Sabahans in the East Cost of Sabah.

Now, after the expenditure of RM300 million, Sabahans and Malaysians are told that Esscom is not responsible for their security. If so, why set up Esscom?

It is clear that the RM300 million spent on Esscom has been a total waste of money as there can be no excuse to spend such a vast sum of money to erect a superstructure just to play the role of co-ordination of the 10 police districts.
Unless there is a clear and satisfactory explanation for the shocking statement by Newmond, Parliament should move an emergency motion to dissolve Esscom next week as Sabah and Malaysia do not need a RM300 million “white elephant”.

Print Friendly

  1. #1 by cemerlang on Saturday, 5 April 2014 - 9:02 pm

    Many people just cannot understand because you said you have all the security set up, the asszone and all else in Lahad Datu and all the eastern side from Kudat down to Sempurna and now your loopholes allow these boat people to attack you again

  2. #2 by cemerlang on Saturday, 5 April 2014 - 9:03 pm

    What asszone ?

  3. #3 by Jeffrey on Saturday, 5 April 2014 - 10:44 pm

    If as Newmond said, Esscom had “no power” over Esszone and that it was under police jurisdiction, then how could discharge its main avowed objective which is to strengthen maritime security in the eastern part of Sabah following the invasion crisis and prevent terrorist activities in the waters? Mind you this is the 2nd incident, the first in Nov 15th last year when gunmen stormed a holiday resort on Pom Pom island and killed a tourist from China before abducting his wife. This cannot come a worse time (from standpoint of control over security) after nothing was shown done a month ago when military radar spotted civilian plane (MH370) making an air turn re-crossing Malaysian airspace. So far excuses are shift blame to OCPD taking orders from the police chief or resorts on small, isolated islands not taking enough measures to (gotong royong style) guard their own security or (this best one) someone wanted to drive a wedge between Malaysia-China relations! Latest Esscom has so quickly located the Semporna abductors’ hiding place and could even say that the two victims are reported to be “safe and well”. Seems to have a straight line to the source of the crime and yet could do nothing to prevent it! Real Malaysia Boleh!

  4. #4 by cemerlang on Sunday, 6 April 2014 - 12:31 am

    sulu says he will never give up. Did Malaysia security go complacent after the Lahad Datu incident ? You will have to close down all the island resorts. From the map, this is a chain of island that connects Mindanao to Sabah and they island hop to get to where they want. Which means all the islands are in the danger zone. And they can come ashore to Sabah without anyone realizing who they are. And they have Malaysian relatives and friends. You are being kind hearted to all the illegal immigrants but they do not pay you back with the same degree of kindness.

    • #5 by cemerlang on Sunday, 6 April 2014 - 10:00 am

      instead of leaving the islands desolate and of no economical use, each of the island will have a military training ground on one side of the island and the other side for tourism revenue and the military or navy or maritime or whatever you call it will have to patrol the waters day and night or the use of a lighthouse. the distance from one island to the next is not that far; probably 10 km or 45 minutes.

You must be logged in to post a comment.