I just came back to Parliament from the Shah Alam Sessions Court where the Attorney-General, Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail as expected dropped the attempted murder charge against the Batu Caves 31 after being incarcerated for close to two weeks on the ground that they are “national security” threats.

Of course I welcome the Attorney-General’s change of mind and the withdrawal of the charge of attempted murder of a policeman preferred against the Batu Caves 31 – as I had right from the beginning called on Gani to drop the charges of “attempted murder” against the 31 as well as the manhunt for another 30 on the same charge of attempted murder, as it would precipitate a new crisis of confidence in the administration of justice over selective and malicious prosecution in the abuse of the Attorney-General’s discretionary prosecution powers.

However, I am still very disappointed by Gani’s conduct in the Shah Alam Sessions Court.

Although the charges against five students for causing mischief and illegal assembly were also dropped (and they should never have been charged in the first place), the charges of causing mischief and illegal assembly against 26 remained, with their case adjourned till December 27 for sentencing following their guilty pleas this morning.

The very fact that Gani had to drop the capital charge of attempted murder against the Batu Caves 31, (which also means the abandonment of his intention to charge 30 others with the same capital offence) – which could land the guilty with a sentence of life imprisonment – is proof that the Attorney-General had abused his powers in preferring such capital charges in the first place.

It raises the question as to the real motive of the Attorney-General in abusing his powers in slapping the Batu Caves 31 with such a serious charge when there is no basis or justification whatsoever.

The two-week incarceration of the Batu Caves 31 who were denied bail on the ground of being “national and security threats” remains a blot on the nation’s administration of justice and the tenure of Gani Patail as Attorney-General.

What Gani should have done in the Shah Alam Sessions Court this morning is to withdraw all charges against all the Batu Caves 31, which would still not be full recompense for the injustice he had done to the 31 Malaysians in incarcerating them for a fortnight in prison.

I call on Gani to further reconsider the charges against the remaining 26 and when their case come up on Dec. 27, to withdraw all charges against them.

Just before the Sessions Court convened this morning at about noon, after inordinate delays, word spread that MIC President and Works Minister Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu would be showing up in court.

However, he did not turn up – probably after he received information that he would be publicly booed by the families of the Batu Caves 31!

I had given notice to the Parliament Speaker, Tan Sri Ramli Ngah, to move an emergency motion last Monday (10th December) on the allegation by the Inspector-General of Police, Tan Sri Musa Hassan on Hindraf’s links to terrorists and canvassing for support from terrorist groups.

The motion did not come up in Parliament last Monday as the PAS MP for Kubang Kerian Sallehuddin Ayub had earlier given notice for an emergency motion about electoral abuses – and Standing Orders of the Dewan Rakyat permitted only one such motion a day.

The first time the alleged terrorist links of Hindraf leaders were alleged in the public domain was in the court proceedings of the Batu Caves 13 and made by the Attorney-General to strengthen his argument to deny bail to the accused.

As Gani could withdraw the serious charge of capital offence of attempted murder against the Batu Caves 31, the veracity of his allegation (and that of the IGP) of Hindraf’s terrorist links is most suspect.

The Attorney-General and Inspector-General of Police should substantiate their allegations of terrorist links against Hindraf leaders or they should withdraw them.

Print Friendly

1. #1 by limkamput on Thursday, 20 December 2007 - 3:31 am

laifoong, i don’t quite understand what you were saying. Can you restate since it is regarding me?

2. #2 by DarkHorse on Thursday, 20 December 2007 - 7:15 am

Laifoong is only quoting what Earnest said. With his statement he did not add new meaning to what Earnest said earlier.

So you should ask the maker of the statement as to what he meant by “mellow which is good”. Obviously to him you were not mellowed before but is now.

3. #3 by DarkHorse on Thursday, 20 December 2007 - 7:16 am

…and which is good now that you’ve mellowed.

4. #4 by ktteokt on Thursday, 20 December 2007 - 9:41 am

Without evidence, they will resort to bringing Tuan ISA into the picture! This is their common tactic!!!!

5. #5 by limkamput on Thursday, 20 December 2007 - 4:26 pm

liafoong and darkhorse, I think what Earnest said of me is ok. He was actually supportive of what all of you want me to be. As we agreed (including advice from Sdr Kit), we will just focus on issues and ideas. Sometimes, even this may be difficult if we take it personally. So some degree of tolerance and magnanimity is still needed.

Liafoong I will not be answering to your challenge in another thread. If you disagree or agree, you have to state your position first. If you want me to elaborate, you have to tell me more what exactly you want to know more. Otherwise it is difficult for me to respond.

6. #6 by EARNEST on Thursday, 20 December 2007 - 7:44 pm

Goodness Gracious! Just one word “mellowed” can trigger off a chain of instigations, appearing like scrapping the bottom of a barrel to find something which was not there merely for provocation.

I used the word “mellowed” to refer to a more tolerant, gentle and relaxed attitude. The degree of mellowing is subjective. So, before a person is considered mellowed, his/her level of tolerance, gentleness and relaxation may already be higher than those of a bunch of provocateurs. It is not an all-or-nothing description of character. For example, the words “White” and “Black” are definite, but the word “Grey” is subjective, with various shades from the extremes of white to black.

I said “…..mellowed, which is good” because it was good mainly for a bunch of mischievous provocateurs for being spared a massacre, with survivals limping and crying to YB Lim, likened to axe wielding thugs being thrown out of the arena by Stephen Chow in the movie “Kungfu Hustle” (2004).

It is also good to maintain civility of discourse.

To digress bit, another movie about a rotten judiciary and legal system “Justice, My Foot” (???) by Stephen Chow is interesting, like a satire on our judiciary and legal system.

Level of skill of inference of Laifoong, Dark Horse and DiaperHead will definitely be failed by Cambridge brat, with Laifoong getting a negative score.

DiaperHead, some of your comments on DAPHNE’s has been wrongly attributed to me.

limkamput, thanks for the explanation. I think if I add any more words, they may trigger off another endless chain reaction of out-of-topic remarks, necessitating a moderator to step in.
    YB Lim’s show of support for limkamput’s commendable contributions, despite provocateurs’ urgings to kick him out vindicated my judgment.

A couple of weeks earlier in this blog, somebody had said that the Chinese were “Kia See” meaning literally “Afraid of Death” or cowardly, unlike Hindraf. To rebut, I had mentioned that a Chinese activist was even deprived off his citizenship for fighting the cause of Chinese education perhaps a bit too passionately to the powers-that-be. The Chinese community did engage a Queen Counsel with its own money to fight for its constitutional rights to establish a Chinese University in the 80s. The Chinese are not cowards, but are highly tolerant. However, the Chinese word for tolerance, ? “ren” has the word knife ? “dao” on top. That means do not push them too far in denying them their constitutional rights, they may retaliate. Basing on an article in the Sun, New Era College has submitted its application on 14.12.2007, to upgrade it to Chinese University status. Let’s hope for the best for its endeavor. This again vindicated my judgment.

So, please take note of my impersonal judgment of your skill of inference and improve yourself.

You see, the Chinese characters give some clues as to their meanings. I discovered through self-study that the radicals (at least 192) indicate whether a character connotes liquid, plants, people, female, etc. Even the late President Kennedy knew that the Chinese word for crisis?? “wei ji” has the word opportunity in it.
    Our beloved country Malaysia is now beset with crises of confidence in the AG’s chambers, the police force and the judiciary. However, now with these crises, ancient Chinese wisdom teaches us that we have the opportunities to right the wrongs.

The issue under discussion here is “Challenge to AG/IGP to substantiate or withdraw terrorist charges against Hindraf”. We have the opportunity to contribute our ideas in this blog to avert crises. Do not squander it. What I write should not be a focus of your constant contributions and consternations.

Shall we move on, and concentrate on the above issue of discussion, please?

7. #7 by EARNEST on Thursday, 20 December 2007 - 8:31 pm

I used the word “mellowed” to refer to a more tolerant, gentle and relaxed attitude. The degree of mellowing is subjective. So, before a person is considered mellowed, his/her original level of tolerance, gentleness and relaxation may already be higher than those of a bunch of provocateurs. It was not an all-or-nothing description of character. For example, the words “White” and “Black” are definite, but the word “Grey” is subjective, with various shades from the extremes of white to black.

I said “…..mellowed, which is good” because it was good mainly for a bunch of mischievous provocateurs for being spared a massacre, with survivals limping and crying to YB Lim, likened to axe-wielding thugs being thrown out of the arena by Stephen Chow in the movie “Kungfu Hustle” (2004).

It was also good to maintain civility of discourse.

8. #8 by EARNEST on Thursday, 20 December 2007 - 8:35 pm

Sorry for the above duplication. It was inadvertent, due to reading of database error.

9. #9 by DarkHorse on Thursday, 20 December 2007 - 11:03 pm

LOL. It never ceases to amaze me the length someone like Earnie aka Daphne would go to wriggle himself out of a situation he himself has created.

Suggesting someone is not “mellow” cannot be a compliment to the one alleged not to be “mellow”. If a stranger comes up to me and say that I’m not mellow enough or rough around the edges I’ll probably kick him in the ass!

Now we can all move on.

10. #10 by DarkHorse on Thursday, 20 December 2007 - 11:15 pm

EARNEST: “I used the word “mellowed” to refer to a more tolerant, gentle and relaxed attitude.”

Precisely. You are saying that the person you said “not to be mellow” and “has now mellowed” is someone who is less tolerant, less gentle and less relaxed in his attitude – using your very own words.

If limkamput sats that he is happy being referred to as “not mellow” before but is “mellowed now” who are we to say he should not be happy??

Now we can really move on.

11. #11 by DarkHorse on Thursday, 20 December 2007 - 11:18 pm

‘was’ rather than ‘is’ – was less tolerant etc

12. #12 by limkamput on Friday, 21 December 2007 - 12:41 am

I already said I have no problem with Earnest’s description of me. From the very beginning, Earnest has shown fairness and magnanimity and that is why I was never angry with him even though he made some comments against me earlier. So this mellon or not mellon thing is not an issue and does not bother me. cukup lah.

13. #13 by laifoong on Friday, 21 December 2007 - 2:50 am

earnest, you’re a real retard! a first class retard!

14. #14 by EARNEST on Friday, 21 December 2007 - 3:53 am

Dear Laifoong,

Please do not get upset. Rest assured that nobody can fail you that badly that you get a negative score, including Cambridge brat.

In all tests, the lowest mark you can get is zero. Just kidding you. I must thank you for upgrading my sense of tolerance.

Actually, I think you are quite smart, but a bit temperamental and I am quite sure very young, and perhaps sweet innocence.

I am sorry, if I had hurt your feelings. It was unintentional.

Dark Horse,
    There is a Chinese saying, “Tolerate, tolerate until you can not tolerate, still you must tolerate”. This is the maximum limit of tolerance.

On the other extreme, at the slightest provocation, a person may overreact. Like smashing your head with a steering rod because you scratched his car, or chopping off your head because you flashed your headlight indicating intention to overtake, which really happened in real life — road rages. This is the minimum limit of tolerance.

So, in between this two extremes of tolerance, a person can be more and more tolerant. It is not like what you think. When I say you are more tolerant now, it does not mean you were not tolerant yesterday. The degree of tolerance just increases, analogous to calibrations on a thermometer, there is a scale. The temperature can get increasingly warmer from dawn to noon.

15. #15 by DiaperHead on Friday, 21 December 2007 - 7:03 am

Earnest, you forgot to take your medications again!

16. #16 by laifoong on Friday, 21 December 2007 - 8:40 am

medicated for what? schizophrenia??

17. #17 by limkamput on Friday, 21 December 2007 - 10:53 am

Earnest, I hope the moderator will take notice of who actually are the trouble makers here! These are the one liners (especially laifoong, have you seen him/her writing one paragraph before) who probably can’t write one paragraph and yet want to insult others so much.

18. #18 by bra888 on Saturday, 22 December 2007 - 9:06 pm

Who’s the real terrorist, the Hindraf or the government.

I believe that the government is more like a terrorist for causing fear among the people to voice out their opinion. The people cannot even voice out without putting their lives and job at risk. People are silent to keep their jobs.

Protesters in BERSIH and Hindraf demonstration are being detained. Isn’t that enough evidence to prove my statement?

19. #19 by DarkHorse on Sunday, 23 December 2007 - 2:16 am

I think limkamput is the terrorist. He doesn’t play by the rules. He thought he could ambush you but ends up ambushing himself!

20. #20 by EARNEST on Sunday, 23 December 2007 - 2:25 am

limkamput,

I agree with you.

Not only are they bankrupt of ideas, they are also incoherent, probably engaging in somniloquy.

I guess laifoong is a teenage male, with a female name.

Let them sleep on undisturbed. Nobody should disturb their somniloquy, which revealed their subconscious mental state.

21. #21 by laifoong on Sunday, 23 December 2007 - 6:08 am

…aiyaaaah! side kick sudah mali!

22. #22 by limkamput on Sunday, 23 December 2007 - 1:37 pm

DarkHorse Says:

totally incoherent, typical of someone who got a fake degree. spm grade 3, no stpm, entering one of the good for nothing uni through back door, and now probably holding a low paying job.

23. #23 by limkamput on Sunday, 23 December 2007 - 4:10 pm

I guess laifoong is a teenage male, with a female name. Earnest

EArnest why we bother, he/she is in between. one morning he wakes up man, one morning she wakes up women, one morning he/she wakes up in between, that is ms/mr/ms(mrs) laifoong. i am confused by all these confused people.

24. #24 by EARNEST on Sunday, 23 December 2007 - 10:51 pm

Normal males have XY chromosomes, females XX chromosomes. There are some among us who have one extra X chromosome, i.e. XXY males.

Many men with XXY live out their lives without ever suspecting that they have an additional chromosome. But, there are some XXY boys and men, who exhibit the Klinefelter syndrome. Laifoong, Count Dracula and Dark Horse are possibly XXY boys who exhibit this syndrome.

What problems do XXY males have? – adapted from an online scientific article.

In addition to occasional breast enlargement, lack of facial and body hair, and a rounded body type, XXY males are more likely than other males to be overweight, and tend to be taller than their fathers and brothers.

A far more serious problem is one that is not always readily apparent. Although XXY males are not usually mentally retarded, most have some degree of language impairment. As children, they often learn to speak much later than do other children and may have difficulty learning to read and write. And while they eventually do learn to speak and converse normally, the majority tend to have some degree of difficulty with language throughout their lives.

If untreated, this language impairment can lead to school failure and its attendant loss of self esteem. Fortunately, however, this language disability usually can be compensated for. Chances for success are greatest if treatment for the language difficulty is begun in early childhood.

Hence, laifoong, Count Dracula and Dark Horse should take my explanation seriously, and try to improve themselves.

It got to be XXY, otherwise how do you explain the great difficulty I had trying to explain to them that tolerance has a range of levels. After I thought I had explained clearly enough, they indulged in somniloquy.

To elaborate further on my explanation of tolerance level to make sure that these boys really understand their XXY problem, let me illustrate by quantifying tolerance.

On a scale of 0 to 10 for tolerance levels, laifoong scored 3 points; Dark Horse and Count Dracula, 4 points; Cambridge brat, 4 points b4 the great debate, 8 points after the great debate; limkamput, 8 points b4 mellowing, 10 points after mellowing; DAPHNE, 10 points; EARNEST, 10 points.

Trust my judgment. You see, my judgments have been vindicated several times before.

You must be logged in to post a comment.